News from Italy: The Lega Italiana Vela (LIV) Steering Committee identified the clubs that will participate to the qualification events in 2016. The 2016 calendar will have three qualification events and a final which will send the first three clubs to the Sailing Champions League in 2017.
President of the LIV Roberto Emanuele de Felice: “The appointment of the clubs to the different qualification events is based on a geographical criteria when possible, and on the 2015 ranking list in order to ensure the best balance among the qualification events.”
First qualification event – May 19-22 2016 – Salò (Garda Lake)
- Host: The centennial Società Canottieri Garda Salò
- 12 clubs will sail against one another onboard of a fleet of Protagonist 7.5 with a 6 boats format to conquer the qualification for the final in Naples
Second qualification event – July 7-10 2016 – Porto Cervo (Sardinia)
- Host: The Yacht Club Costa Smeralda
- 13 clubs will sail against one another onboard of a fleet of J70
- The clubs that will become member after April 13 will join this qualification event.
Last qualification event – September 29-October 2 2016 – Cala Galera (Tuscany)
- Host: The Circolo Nautico e della Vela Argentario
- 12 clubs will sail against one another onboard of a fleet of Comet 21 with the 6 boats format
Finals – October 27-30 2016 – Naples
- Host: The centennial Reale Yacht Club Canottieri Savoia
- The clubs participating will be 50% of each qualification event, in order to have 21 clubs in the finals. In case there wont be 21 clubs due to no-show other clubs will be fished out with the following criteria:
- Clubs with the best result score , not included in the 50% will access the finals
- When scores are equal, the Club with the best ranking will access the finals
- When rankings are equal the Club with the highest score in the last qualification race will access the finals
Executive Vice President Alessandro Maria Rinaldi: “During 2015 season more than 200 clubs from all over Europe showed a great interest in this new format, therefore 2016 Season will be the first real test for the Sailing Champions League. We are very proud of being the largest League among the 15 international ones and that we gained this result in less than a year. Our member clubs reacted in an exceptional way and I can’t wait to attend the first ceremony for the delivery of the regatta flags of our clubs that will be hoisted at the stern of each one-design boat, thus underlining the official opening of the sailing competitions for the selection of 2016 Italian champion Club”.